Hancock County Courthouse
Wilbur D. Capps began practicing law in 1941. He then left to join the Army and after prosecuting war criminals returned to Carthage, Hancock County to resume his law practice.
Richard C. Ripple began practicing law in Carthage in 1959 and became a partner with Clifton J. O'Harra with the firm known as O'Harra & Ripple. After the death of Mr. O'Harra, Wilbur D. Capps and Richard C. Ripple began partnership talks and the law firm of Capps & Ripple formed in November 1964.
In about 1967, Paul C. Hendren became an Associate in the firm of Capps & Ripple. Mr. Hendren was with the firm for approximately 6-12 months when he left the firm and moved to Champaign, Illinois.
Stephen G. Evans became an Associate in the law firm of Capps & Ripple in June of 1972 and became a partner in January of 1975. The firm named changed to Capps, Ripple & Evans. In August of 1975, Steve Evans left the firm and went on the Bench as a Judge in Henderson County. Thus, the name then reverted back to Capps & Ripple.
James C. Cosgrove joined the firm as an Associate in the Summer of 1975. Albert V. Ancelet joined the firm as an Associate in the Fall of 1975. Richard C. Ripple left the firm in May 1976 to become a Judge. Thus, a new partnership was formed between Wilbur D. Capps, James C. Cosgrove, and Albert V. Ancelet. The firm carried on business in the name of Capps, Cosgrove & Ancelet.
David F. Stoverink joined the firm as an Associate in 1977 and became partner in 1980. Thus, the law firm carried on business in the name of Capps, Cosgrove, Ancelet & Stoverink. In 1982, James C. Cosgrove left the firm to pursue a career in teaching and is still employed as a teacher at Culver Stockton College in Canton, Missouri. The firm then carried on business under the name of Capps, Ancelet & Stoverink.
Ross Robinson joined the law firm as an Associate and became a partner in January 1987, but left soon thereafter to pursue a corporate position. During the short time Ross Robinson was a partner, the firm was known as Capps, Ancelet, Stoverink & Robinson. Once Mr. Robinson left the firm, the name reverted back to Capps, Ancelet & Stoverink.
William R. Neubauer was an Associate in the law firm from 1989 to the spring of 1990. Matt Burkhart was an Associate from 1990 to 1991. Rodney G. Clark became an Associate in August 1991.
In December 1992, Wilbur Capps passed away. His name is still part of the firm name as his name represents integrity and competency.
In 1994 Rodney Clark became a partner and the firm name changed to Capps, Ancelet, Stoverink & Clark. In February 1997, David F. Stoverink left the firm to become a Judge. The firm name changed to Capps, Ancelet & Clark. Richard H. Gambrell was an Associate in the firm from April 1998-1999 when he left in order to become a Judge.
William A. Rasmussen became an Associate in the firm in October 2000 and became a partner in 2003. John N. Hauk became an Associate in the firm in November 2007, then left in January of 2011 and moved to Quincy with the expected arrival of his first child. Eric G. Icenogle became an Associate in the firm in 2011 and became a partner in December 2012. Rodney Clark left the firm in 2012 to become a Judge. The firm name is currently Capps, Ancelet, Rasmussen & Icenogle.
The Law Offices of Capps, Ancelet, Rasmussen & Icenogle in Carthage, Illinois, represents clients in Hancock County, McDonough County, Adams County, Schuyler County, Brown County, Henderson County, and Warren County, including the communities of Augusta, Bowen, Carthage, Colchester, Dallas City, Hamilton, La Harpe, Macomb, Monmouth, Nauvoo, Oquawka, Quincy, and Warsaw.